Tuesday 25 May 2010

Final Days

So the taught portion of my program is coming to a quick end. One more paper and an end of the year celebration is all that is left. Of course, the big paper that really matters is still to come. Although my thesis research questions are not fully defined yet, I am interested in looking at the motivations and barriers that contribute or restrict individuals in making sustainable lifestyle choices. This will become clearer once I meet with my supervisor at the end of the month. Right now, I am feeling burnt out and despite some incredible adventures and good times, I am missing home. I am also acutely aware that this next chapter will not be easy. Part of me welcomes it and another part is absolutely terrified. What have I got myself into!?

The significance of all this is not lost on me though. I stop myself now and then as I’m walking down a street to remind myself where I am and what it is I am doing. I am in Edinburgh, living out my dream of completing an MSc, which I will be proud of completing for the rest of my life. I am no longer a tourist, but a resident who has a favourite coffee shop and one who can give tourists directions. I visit with my Grandma weekly and have become good friends with my cousins. My family is proud of me and I know the essence of my Mum sits on my shoulder cheering me on when things get tough. These things are invaluable to me and are what I need to remember when I am feeling homesick and uneasy about writing a thesis. I am full of gratitude for what has been and what lies ahead. Bring it on Edinburgh!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.